Thursday, March 20, 2008

Because We Can


Today started with a phone call from my girlfriend.."Can you get lunch today?" I quickly processed in my mind, I don't do lunch... but as she waited for my answer I said with the inevitable "I can't I'm heading out for a run ".. As most days after Olivia gets on the bus at 11:45 I plan my day with some sort of exercise in it...I can't wait to get that workout in...Today however was different... For the first time in a long time, I just didn't feel like it.. I thought about what it would be like to go to lunch and just have an "I don't feel like it day"...
The next call was Kate saying "Have you thought about running today".. AHHH Just when I needed it .. wisdom or insanity, it was perfect timing....Yes, of course lets go around 1:00... then we discussed that we better go for a long run because it is going to snow this weekend... then shorts or pants was discussed (these days you never know) and ended with a see you soon.
Kate showed up as always on time and we headed out into the sun. I still didn't feel like it.. Around mile 3 we got into our rhythm and my whole demeaner changed...It was amazing...We usually have a lot to talk about on our runs.. We solve a lot of issues out on the roads.. By the time we got to mile 8 with one to go I felt awesome.. We talked about the Hoyt family and it charged me up again.. How a father can run many races with his disabled son.. How we have legs that move (they are really sore from lunges this week-powerflex class) and we can use them.. We also talked about the lady we met during the Chicago marathon that just survived her brain tumor and couldn't wait to get out on the roads.. As we turned down the driveway I was SO grateful for Kates call... I could of had that "I don't feel like it day"but instead I had one of the best runs I have had in awhile..
I will leave you with this from my day.....Sometimes we "don't feel like it" but you never really know what it has in store for you unless you "go for it.." It applies to all aspect of life..For me I needed to be reminded..."For runners its just simply the roads calling your name...."
kim

4 comments:

Triple T said...

gosh, that was good aunt kim. Thank you for your great inspiring words.

Anonymous said...

oooh, oh, sorry stacey. . . I hit the button too fast. . . Thanks again Aunt Kim!

Anonymous said...

Kim, after seeeing the deaf gal on dancing the the stars not miss a beat, it hardly gives us excuses. Yea for exercise buddies. diane

Anonymous said...

Mom, even ones that get there late?????